August 15, 2011

Lights, Camera, Action.....Take #55!

As our adoption agency rushes to compete with other adoption agencies that are using social media as a way to reach their target audience, Jon and I find ourselves constantly being tasked with projects we weren't expecting.

Last week, we were told we were going to extend our online profiles to include an additional three pictures which was very exciting as it is terrifying to think that one picture may make or break some one's perception of you.  And this week, we were told that their website will now support video and we needed to create a video to go with our profile.  Additionally, the video would be possibly posted on the agency's Facebook page and YouTube site.
Jon and I were fine with these assignments baring a few major issues:
  1. The technical guidelines were SO specific that our video camera did not support them.  Additionally, zero cameras at Best Buy supported the guidelines either.  So we were forced to go with a non-camera camera that specializes in posting videos to blogs/YouTube.  We were forced to spend a whopping $212 to buy a Sony Bloggie Touch which we do not want to use as a permanent video camera, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
  2. Jon and I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the way we sound on video.  I mean we literally both cringe when we hear ourselves on video.  I think Jon sounds normal on video, but I sound like a purse just fell out of my mouth or that I am the Grand Marshall of the gayest gay pride parade in town. 
Our instructions were simple (kind of):
  • Video cannot be longer than 2 minutes and 15 seconds, period. 
  • It has to be shot shoulders up in front of a white wall
  • The following questions/topics must be hit upon in the following time increments:
    • Introduce Yourselves (10 Seconds Combined)
    • Tell What You Admire About Each Other (1 Minute Combined)
    • Tell Why Open Adoption Appeals To You (1 Minute Combined)
  • And the cardinal rule which we broke BIG TIME.....don't do any retakes. 
Remember, we only get one chance to make a first impression so we had to do a serious wardrobe consideration.  This wasn't a gay motivated wardrobe consideration, this was a consideration to say what shirt will support the fact that Jon's says I am funny and like to laugh?  And what shirt would show people that Jon has a serious, yet adventurous side?

After we got everything into place, Jon and I proceeded to do nearly 20 takes (that is NOT an exaggeration).  Sometimes, it was as simple as I accidentally introduced myself as Jon instead of Keith.  Or every now and again, Jon would let out a giggle at something I said.  Or sometimes it was because neither of us realized the nervous ticks we have when under pressure. I  can't sit still, itch my face uncontrollably, and gulp at awkward moments.  Jon is a head darted......looking at me, then the camera, at me, then the camera, at me, then the camera every 2 seconds.  So, by the time we got that all under control AND said what we needed to say in a calm and intelligent manner, we were 20 takes in.  We were exhausted when all is said and done. 

Once we get the approval and the video goes up on our profile, I will provide a link. 

1 comment:

  1. You should totally return the camera to Best Buy... that's why they have a 30-day return policy. Tell them it didn't take the kind of videos you'll want to be taking for the next 10 years. Easy squeezy! :) But seriously, how painful that must have been. I'm sure it turned out fab-o.

    ReplyDelete