March 21, 2011

Baby Duties & Baby's Dooties

Well, my adorable nephew Liam was baptized last weekend and I am honored to be one of his Godparents.  He did fantastic and I may be partial, but I think he was the cutest baby that has ever been baptized.  He wore an all white suit with a vest and matching tie.  I almost died....almost died!

I was in MI from Friday night through Monday afternoon and wanted to do as much as possible to help alleviate the sleeplessness of my sister and brother-in-law.  I don't want to sound like I was a Saint or anything like that because I still fit in plenty of "butt on couch time"!

I volunteered to do baby duties and was put through my first "Baby Boot Camp."  I don't think there is more valuable experience in the world than offering to do middle of the night duties or allow mom and dad to make a quick run to the store while still having the safety of mom and dad around in case I needed help or had a question.  And for the most part, Liam went pretty easy on me.  I did get a dooty that smeared all the way up his back, he peed on me, and he spit up on himself and me twice.  But I also got to help give him a bath, rock him to sleep, feed him, change him, and dress him. 

And it was in those times that I looked down at him and wondered how anyone could give a little, helpless being like him up for adoption.  Don't get me wrong, I am going to be eternally grateful to the person(s) who has the strength to give us their child, but in those moments with Liam, I knew that I don't think I could do it if the tables were turned.  And that is where I think the huge misconception with adoption comes in.  Most people think that people put their babies up for adoption because they don't care, but I have a feeling that when the time comes to take our baby from its birth mother's arms, it will be the most difficult moment of that woman's life.  And it isn't because she doesn't care....it is because she cares so much for that baby that she knows she cannot give it the quality of life it deserves. 

Whoa, this blog entry took a TOTALLY different turn than originally intended.  Back on course!  Anyways, being with Liam was great and I find myself really missing him.  I can't wait to see him and my family again!!!

Here is a picture of Liam and I at brunch after the Baptism.  I am not sure why my nose looks SO big in this picture, but Liam as usual looks flawless!!  Note: I am totally starting to look like a natural, don't you think?  You should have seen the first time I held him two months ago, I was about as flexible as concrete because I was soooooo terrified. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like somebody needs a pee pee tee pee! Good idea for a mommy's day gift. ;)

    ReplyDelete