November 4, 2010

Cutting to the Chase

In the famous words of Michael Jackson's song......"it don't matter if you're black or white" or Asian, Mexican, etc.  Jon and I do not care what the race or sex of our baby is.  We are asked this question most frequently and so I thought I would put the answer in writing. 

We have to undergo additional adoption counseling in order to be "cleared" to be considered as parents for a baby of another race.  Or to use adoption speak, a "trans-racial" baby.  Actually, I had to take a 100 plus question quiz if you will about my racial viewpoints on the world.  The test was very eye opening until I got to the Knowledge section which asked me to list 3 African American scientists or the first Asian Nobel Peace Prize Winner, or the first Eskimo to fly to the moon.  Okay, I made up the 3rd one, but all the others were true and there were 20 or so questions like that. 

My results told me what I already knew that I am fit to have a trans-racial baby, but those Knowledge questions certainly brought my score down from where I wanted it to be.  I guess it is time to dust up on my race knowledge.  Jon hasn't undergone the test yet, but I know he will easily cleared as well.

Though trans-racial parenting might not be for eveyrone, we just want to be parents in the worst way.  We don't care what package our baby comes in, just as long as the package actually arrives.

1 comment:

  1. Ever see the movie Bruno?? I had a mental image of the baby in the package at baggage claim. LOL

    ReplyDelete